In Australia, petroleum exploration and production operations are conducted in a wide range of onshore and offshore environment.
The Australian oil and gas industry is committed to protecting Australia’s unique environment. The industry works to the highest standards and has a long history of world-class responsible environmental management.
Australian Energy Producers members are committed to responsible resource and environmental management practice as an integral part of their daily operations.
Recognising the need to avoid or minimise and manage impacts to the environment, when undertaking activities Australian Energy Producers members:
- Assess the risks to, and impacts on, the environment as part of the planning process
- Reduce the impact of operations on the environment, to as low as reasonably practicable and to an acceptable level by using the best available technology and management practices
- Consult with stakeholders regarding industry activities
- Develop and maintain a corporate culture of environmental awareness and commitment that supports the necessary management practices and technology, and their continuous improvement.
- Remove existing duplication, avoid new duplication, and streamline approvals under the EPBC Act
- Limit the scope of the independent Environmental Protection Agency consistent with the government’s pre-election commitment.
- Finalise the decommissioning legislative reform and financial assurance framework and improve decommissioning outcomes.
Learn more about how the industry protects the marine environment.